Your Trusted Advocates In Slip, Trip And Fall Accidents
When it comes to personal injury claims, few are as prevalent as “slip-and-fall” accidents. These unfortunate incidents occur when an individual slips, trips or falls on someone else’s property, resulting in injuries. Whether it happens in a store, on a sidewalk or in a rented apartment, slip-and-fall accidents can be attributed to hazardous conditions left unaddressed by property owners, business managers, employees, homeowners or landlords.
At Deratany & Kosner, our skilled attorneys can help you learn more about what comes next and how to move forward after slips, falls and other personal injuries.
Understanding Slips, Trips And Falls
In Chicago, a variety of factors can lead to slip, trip and fall accidents, including wet surfaces, torn carpeting, poorly maintained staircases, inadequate sidewalks, insufficient lighting and safety code violations. Determining liability in these cases can be complex, as not every incident warrants legal action. Property owners or managers may be unaware of hazards, and in some cases, individuals might reasonably be expected to anticipate and avoid potential dangers. These accidents can include situations such as:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: From freshly mopped supermarket floors to ice-covered sidewalks, these conditions can lead to accidents.
- Torn carpeting or broken tiles: These hazards can be found in buildings, homes and public spaces, posing threats to unsuspecting individuals.
- Unsafe steps or narrow stairs: Staircases with loose railings, uneven steps or inadequate lighting can be accidents waiting to happen.
- Inadequate sidewalk or walkway upkeep: Cracked or uneven sidewalks can lead to trips and falls, especially for pedestrians.
- Poor lighting or visibility: Dark and poorly lit areas make it challenging to identify potential hazards.
- Safety code violations: Noncompliance with building and safety codes can result in dangerous conditions.
Property owners or landlords may be held liable for a slip-and-fall injury if they failed to keep up their properties. These can be complex cases. Not everyone who slips and falls in a store, parking lot or in a rented apartment has grounds to file a lawsuit. Sometimes, a business owner or landlord is not aware of a hazard that may have developed shortly before the accident. In other cases, a property owner cannot be held responsible if it is determined that an ordinary person should expect to find the hazard and avoid it.
Your Path To Recovery Starts Here
At Deratany & Kosner, our experienced lawyers are dedicated to helping those who have suffered due to slip-and-fall accidents. With a deep understanding of the challenges these accidents pose, our experienced attorneys provide knowledgeable and powerful legal representation to victims in Chicago and nationwide. With over 100 years of combined experience, we have a proven track record of achieving justice for our clients. To schedule your free consultation, call 312-815-6231 or fill out this simple form.