Our Chicago Lawyers Aggressively Advocate For Our Clients
And Seek Justice For Their Injuries
- Social Services/Foster Care Negligence
- Birth Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Wrongful Death
Jay Paul Deratany, the founder of Deratany & Kosner, has a proven track record of helping clients get the most efficient and pertinent results. His success in the courtroom includes winning a historic $45,000,000 verdict in a foster care wrongful death case as well as the then-largest jury verdict in Lake County history, $23,000,000, in a birth injury case.
Mr. Deratany has published numerous articles featured in the Illinois Bar Journal, Daily Law Bulletin, Adoption Magazine, and Foster Families Today. He has been a guest on Fox & Friends, CNN and the O’Reilly Factor. He has been featured in Foster Families Magazine for his continuing fight on behalf of foster children.
Mr. Deratany has served on numerous boards, including Howard Brown, Chicago House, Perspectives Charter Schools, and Community Support Services. He won the Ekroth Award for his federal lawsuit advocating on behalf of disabled women who were being discriminated against in housing.
Mr. Deratany is also a playwright; his hit play, Haram Iran, was nominated for a GLAAD theater award and has played in Chicago, Los Angeles, and soon London. He also has recently finished production of his first feature film titled Saugatuck Cures. Super Lawyers recently profiled Deratany’s work as a playwright and how it dovetails with his legal career.
Additionally, Mr. Deratany is a successful entrepreneur. During the filming of Saugatuck Cures, he used a historic home in Saugatuck, the Sarah M Kirby House, as a “basecamp.” Mr. Deratany took the house under his wing and began renovations to reopen it as a boutique hotel, The Kirby.
Mr. Deratany continues to advocate for global LGBT youth rights. He serves on the board of directors of Ekta Transglobal, a nonprofit organization that advocates for LGBT equality.
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor
- Illinois, 1987
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2021
- Top 100 Lawyers, 2007 - Present
- Top Illinois Lawyers, 2007 - Present
- Top Illinois Litigation Lawyer, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2016
- Leading Lawyers, 2017
- GLAAD Media Award nomination for Haram! Iran! in 2010
- Inductee into the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame in 2020
- Best Feature Film for Foster Boy at DRIFF 2019 (Durham Region International Film Festival)
- Best Narrative Feature for Foster Boy at the International Black Film Festival in 2019
- Best of Fest for Foster Boy at the International Black Film Festival in 2019
- Human Rights and Dignity Award for Foster Boy at the Tryon International Film Festival 2019
- Carpe Diem Award for Foster Boy at Woodstock Film Festival 2019
- Best Feature Film for Foster Boy at the West Texas Film Festival 2019
- Best New Theatrical Musical Jeff Award for The Civility of Albert Cashier