WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT CHILD ABUSE OR NEGLECT
OUR CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT ATTORNEYS OFFER ADVICE
Knowing what to do if you suspect child abuse and neglect can be confusing. You want to do the right thing. But you might not be sure where to start – or what you’re legally obligated to do when it comes to child abuse or child neglect. That’s why it’s important to fully understand your rights and the process for reporting neglect or abuse.
We know what to do at The Deratany Firm in Chicago. That’s because our experienced child abuse lawyers have been defending the rights of abused and neglected children for years throughout the country. Our track record speaks for itself. We have consistently helped children get the help they need when they need it most.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU SUSPECT CHILD NEGLECT OR ABUSE
There are many things you can do if you suspect a child is a victim of abuse or neglect. Some of the steps we recommend taking include:
- Contact the police – They can always contact the appropriate state or local agency to intervene and put a stop of the abuse.
- Do not personally intervene – Don’t directly approach the adult that you suspect is abusing or neglecting a child. You could put yourself in harm’s way if you do so.
- Call a hotline – If you’re scared to get involved and give your name, there are anonymous hotlines you can call to report abuse.
- Contact a social services agency – This includes the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) or another social services agency.
- Contact our law firm – We can you every step of the way and help you put an end to the abuse or neglect being inflicted on an innocent child.
HOW OUR LAW FIRM CAN HELP
Taking the first step to put a stop to child abuse or neglect can be daunting. Some people are reluctant or afraid to get involved. But it’s important to remember what’s at stake. Often, a child’s health and welfare are at risk. And when you speak out and report abuse, that child will hopefully end up in a better, healthier environment.