Megan O'Connor is a passionate advocate for injured people, especially foster and adoptive youth and their families. Megan's experience in handling complex issues of law, along with her passion for advocacy, has laid the foundation for her to help obtain millions of dollars of settlements and awards for clients of The Deratany Firm. Notably, Megan was second chair in a foster care wrongful death case that resulted in a historic $45 million verdict, as well as a foster care abuse case that resulted in a $19.55 million settlement.
- Foster Care Abuse
- Adoption Negligence
- Personal Injury
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
Awards & Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2017-2019
- Juris Doctor, Loyola University School of Law, Chicago, IL
- Certificate in Advocacy
- Dean’s List
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Transnational Dispute Resolution
- Two-time Top Oral Advocate, National Moot Court Competition for Child Welfare and Adoption Law
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, North Central College, Naperville, IL
- Four-year varsity volleyball player
Megan's passion for helping foster youth extends beyond the courtroom. Most recently, Megan has been named to the inaugural board of First Star at Loyola, a charity dedicated to challenging the 3% nationwide foster youth college graduation rate through innovative programs at Loyola University Chicago.
Megan has also supported and volunteered with various charities to support cancer patients and their families. As a ten-plus-year survivor of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, she understands the emotional plight of cancer patients and their families.